Thursday, May 13, 2010

Maple - Mustard Baked Chicken

Whew - that's a mouthful, eh?

I made dinner for a friend the other night, and wanted to try out this new recipe I found. When I went to the store I got everything generic brand - so I can only imagine how tasty it would be with "real" branded ingredients!

Below is the recipe, and then my experience making it.
That's some big chicken!!!

----------
Maple - Mustard Baked Chicken

Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, preferably grade B
- 2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4-41/2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, (thighs, drumsticks and/or breasts), skin removed, trimmed (see Tip)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Tip)

Directions
- Whisk mustard, maple syrup, 1 tablespoon oil, thyme, pepper and salt in a large bowl.
- Add chicken and turn to coat evenly.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Set a wire rack on a large baking sheet.
- Combine breadcrumbs and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil on a plate.
- Dredge the skinned side of each chicken piece in the breadcrumbs (with drumsticks, dredge the meatier side) and arrange breaded-side up on the wire rack. Leave at least 1 inch between pieces.
- Bake until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 165°F, 35 to 40 minutes.
-Serve hot or let cool, refrigerate and serve chilled.

----------

Ok, so I made the marinade the night before I was planning on serving the dish. When I made the marinade I thought it looked like an awfully small amount for 4lbs of chicken. So I doubled it all! I think I put in a little too much syrup, but oh well. If you don't like thyme, put less in (duh!). I put the marinade and the chicken in a Ziploc bag and let it marinade overnight (more than 6 hours, but does it REALLY matter?).

The next day I was ready to bake the chicken!

I mixed the breadcrumbs and olive oil. After I coated the chicken with breadcrumbs, I had a TON of breadcrumbs left over. So you DO NOT need 1 1/2 cups of them. You could make due with at most 1 cup. Oh yeah, and mine were seasoned, not whole wheat.

As that baked, I cooked up some side dishes. I only blog about the sides here since they are in the pic below.
Side 1- Diced Potatoes mixed with Onion, I also added garlic salt
Side 2 - Sauteed Squash and Zucchini, I added salt and pepper to taste

Once the chicken was done, I made sure to test it with the meat thermometer (which actually worked). So I served the meal and grubbed down.

Kellen (my friend who came to test out the recipe, also a new blog follower!) seemed to really enjoy the potatoes, and I think just ate the vegetables because "he was supposed to". He said he liked the chicken, but I don't think he really did. I think he just ate it because he knew I wasn't going to make him anything else and he wanted to be nice.

But I on the other hand, thought the chicken came out great! I had 3 pieces, and I went to bring some to work today, but left it at home. UGH! Looks like I'll just bring it to work tomorrow then (or have it for dinner tonight).

The recipe def was easy to make, and almost all the ingredients I had at my house.

Enjoy! - apes -

No comments:

Post a Comment