Friday, May 21, 2010

Mexican Bean Salad

I tried out this new recipe (vegetarian friendly), which would have been perfect for our cinco de mayo party...but I guess since I still made it in May, it still works, right?

----------

Mexican Bean Salad

Ingredients
Salad
- 2 cans (15 oz each) Progresso® black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) Progresso® dark red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (11 oz) Green Giant® Niblets® no-salt-added whole kernel sweet corn, drained
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, each cut in half
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper (1 medium)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (8 medium)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Dressing
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions
- In large bowl, mix salad ingredients. In small bowl, mix dressing ingredients with wire whisk until blended.
- Pour dressing over salad; toss to mix. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours to blend flavors.

----------
Ok, so I am not big into measuring ingredients exactly, so what I did for the ingredients was use the canned vegetables as the recipe states, but instead of measuring the rest I just used a whole package of grape tomatoes, skipped the green onions (I couldn't find them at the store) and measured the Cilantro. When I measured the Cilantro it looked like a LOT, so I only put in about half of what the recipe stated. Bad Idea. It ended up not having a lot of flavor.

Also - don't try the dressing before you mix it into the salad...it does NOT taste good. Once it mixes with the salad, it comes out much better.

I would def use more chili powder, or add something else to give it a little kick. Other than that though it was good! And it made a lot, so I had more for lunch the next day.

If you want to make this into a salsa, don't drain the vegetables, and add more dressing.

You can also use some soft tortilla shells and make a veggie burrito! (The pic shows it with Naan on the side)

- Enjoy! apes -

No comments:

Post a Comment