Tuesday, June 8, 2010

1st CSA Pickup!!

This week marked the first pick-up of our CSA vegetables. If you don't know what that is, read my the blog post here that explains it.

Anyways...I get emails from the owner of the farm every few weeks to update me on the happenings with the crops, animals, etc. Then last week I received an email saying VEGETABLE SHARE PICKUP IS BEGINNING!! Woo-hoo!! Finally!

Since I worked Monday night, it was up to Roomster to tackle the first week of veggies. She went to the pick-up location and came home with a bunch of fresh veggies - some I have never even heard of before!

This week our bag consisted of:

- broccoli (this broccoli comes out of one of a hoophouse - the field broccoli isn't ready yet because it hasn't been growing long enough. This broccoli, because the hoophouses get very warm started to ripen last week which is sooner than expected so some of the heads are uneven and a little discolored, but still tasty)
- pac choi (this comes from the field)
- salad greens (several different leaf lettuces mixed together)
- garlic scapes (these are the curlicues at the top of the garlic plant that if let grow will turn into the garlic flower. They have a bright fresh taste. Use them just like you would garlic bulbs)
- a basil plant in a 4.5 inch pot. This is a fairly large plant. Put it in a window and all summer long use the leaves for seasoning.
- A cilantro plant also in a 4.5 inch pot. Keep the plant trimmed and use the leaves as cilantro or let it mature and produce coriander
- sorrel (a perennial lemony tasting green. Best known as an ingredient in French Sorrel Soup. Also used in salads and omelets)

Then we had the option to add the following (we of course added all of them):
Oregano
Chives
Spearmint

I brought the salad greens for lunch today, along with some of the head of broccoli that I chopped up. Then I added some frozen-from-the-bag corn niblets and had my salad with ranch (best condiment EVER btw).

I am going to look at recipes on how to cook our Pac Choi and Sorrel so we can find out the right ways to eat it and get all the good flavors out of it!

Enjoy! - apes -

No comments:

Post a Comment