Friday, March 5, 2010

Black Bean Bagel Sandwich

Yesterday I was exploring some healthy food sites online and I came across a recipe for a Black Bean Bagel Sandwich. After looking at the ingredients, I realized it was easy enough for me! I read the 2 reviews on it, and 1 was good while the other was bad. I was a little worried about it not turning out ok, so I made sure I was EXTRA attentive with the already super-easy recipe.

So I called the fellas (Leo and Drew) and had them over to help me test out the new recipe.

-----

Black Bean Bagel Sandwich

Ingredients:
- 1 can (15 oz) Progresso black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/3 cup chunky-style salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin or chili powder
- 4 bagels, cut horizontally in half
- 2 plum (Roma) tomatoes, sliced
- Lettuce leaves

Directions:
- In food processor or blender, process beans, salsa and cumin until smooth.
- Spread 1/4 cup bean mixture over each of 4 bagel halves.
- Top with tomato, lettuce and remaining bagel halves.

-----

Easy, right? YOU HAVE NO IDEA! Instead of Progresso Black Beans, I got regular generic black beans (my store didn't have progresso!), and I opted for chili powder for more taste. I put the ingredients in the blender (making sure I drained and rinsed the beans first) for a few seconds, but didn't blend it all the way because I didn't want to turn it into a full on mush. Then I heated the (multi-grain) bagels to make them warm.

It ended up being a healthier (vegetarian) kind of sloppy joe. It wasn't too sloppy either though, but you get the point.

(not the best pic, but it did taste good!)

Once it was all served up, the boys seemed to like it, Leo even had 2 sandwiches! It didn't look like it made a lot, but we got 5 bagel sandwiches out of it! We realized we could add cheese and it would still be good, but I didn't have any already sliced on hand.

This dinner probably cost me like $5 to make (even cheaper because I already had some of the ingredients) - and was easy enough that I can make it in a rush.

Enjoy! - apes -

1 comment:

  1. Hey that sounds good! We will try that and see if Lauren likes it. She has been a vegetarian for about 3 years and we are always looking for new recipes to try. I'll let you know how it goes. Keep the recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete