Friday, March 12, 2010

Grasshopper Bars

Enjoy those minty grasshopper cookies?? Who doesn't (well, besides people that don't like fun)?!?!? I was looking for a dessert recipe to take to my grandparents going away party (they are moving from VA to FL) this weekend, and I came across this recipe. I looked it over and thought THESE LOOK SO GOOD! So I decided to try it out! Plus, since the frosting is green, it's all ready for St. Patty's day!!
-----

Grasshopper Bars

Ingredients:
Bars
- 1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Corcker double choc. chunk cookie mix - 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg
Frosting
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 package (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
- 3 to 4 drops green food color
Glaze
- 1 oz unsweetened baking chocolate (as in the chocolate baking bars)
- 1 tablespoon butter

Directions:
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, stir all Bar ingredients until soft dough forms.
- Press into pan; bake 15 minutes.
- Cool about 10 minutes.
- In large bowl, stir all Frosting ingredients until smooth.
- Spread over bars.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave all Glaze ingredients on High 30 seconds; stir until smooth.
- Drizzle over frosting.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes or until set.
- For bars, cut into 9 rows by 4 rows.
- Store covered in refrigerator.

-----

These were simple to make, and while I haven't had a chance to eat one YET - I have tasted the icing, and it is DELICIOUS! Not too minty, and will be PERFECT with chocolate!

The only problems I came across was with the frosting and the glaze:
  • It was taking forever to stir the frosting, so not all the cream cheese was blended. I am sure I could have blended all of it super smooth if I had used a mixer.
  • The glaze was supposed to be "drizzled" over the frosting, but it didn't really drizzle well (might have been the bowl I was using to drizzle though) so i just dropped some of the melted chocolate on the frosting, then used a sharp knife to give it the design. I just pulled the knife through the top layer, just deep enough to move the chocolate. I did this repeatedly until the chocolate was spread out.

I am sure no one at my grandparents party are expecting me to even be at the party, let along bring something, so I can't wait to surprise them with my new skill (ok, maybe not skill, just a hobby).

Try it out, and tell me what you think!

Enjoy! - apes -

No comments:

Post a Comment