Monday, March 8, 2010

Congrats A.Jones!!!

So my girl got into grad school at JMU!! WOO HOO ASHLEY!!!! Who is this girl you ask - go here to get acquainted: http://www.ashleyjonesy.blogspot.com/

Anyways, so she got into grad school and had previously asked me to make her some Oreo Balls. I decided this would be the PERFECT time to do so. I planned on making them JMU "purple and gold". Key word = PLANNED.

So I hop over to the grocery store (I am sure the workers there totally recognize me in the baking aisle by this point) and pick up the ingredients - for the gold balls I picked up some butterscotch chips, and for purple I was going to use white choc chips with purple food coloring.

Ok, back home and time to make them (here comes the side story)....

I just got a netbook with a web cam, so I decided to try out Skype. I got on, and my friend Kevin found me, so we skype'd (video-chatted) while I crushed up the oreos. Then he decided to just come over (he lives down the street). So he came over and munched on the oreos while I mixed them up with the cream cheese. While they were in the freezer I introduced him to chatroulette (hil-a-ri-ous!!!) and we had lunch. Then came the oreo coating time!

We melted the butterscotch, those came out fine. Then it was the purple time! I mixed up the food coloring (red + blue = purple, for you non-art people). I melted the white chocolate...and then it was time to add the food coloring mix....

Note: last time when i tried to add straight red coloring (for the vday ones) the chocolate got hard and was hard to use.

I poured some of the purple color into the chocolate...and it happened. The chocolate hardened. So there went a whole bag of white chocolate. UGH!!! REALLY?!?!?!?!

In the end, instead of purple and gold oreo balls, AJ got butterscotch and plain ones. She said she still liked them...but you know those grad school types...you just can't trust'em.

Moral of the story - DON'T MIX ANY COLORING INTO MELTED CHOCOLATE!

- apes -

1 comment:

  1. They were so delish!!!!! Me, Barb, and Tim ate a bunch. You're the best!!!

    ReplyDelete