Friday, March 5, 2010

Pina Colada Cake

After the boys had my Black Bean Bagel Sandwiches, I also provided them with dessert! It's hard to find an actually healthy, good tasting dessert that isn't fruit and yogurt. And that's not really dessert is it? NO! So I hunted around for a decently easy and quite tasty one..and then I found it....PINA COLADA CAKE! Whoa...you mean a pina colada turned into a cake? SIGN ME UP!!!! So I wrote down the recipe, and ran to the store. It took me 2 dishes (1 to cook, 1 to bake), and 1 mixing spoon to make it. Oh yeah, and like 25 min from start to pulling out of the oven. So here goes....

-----

Pina Colada Cake

Ingredients:
- 1 package (14 1/2 oz) angel food cake mix
- 1 can (20 oz) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 8 oz fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) toasted coconut

Directions:
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, stir together cake mix and pineapple. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Cool completely on a rack.
- Spread whipped topping over cake. Sprinkle with coconut. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

-----



<---We already ate some before I remembered to snap a pic.









<--- Look how light and fluffy it is!






I kept the coconut sprinkles off of it because the guys aren't fans of coconut. But I put some on mine and I loved it! It's easiest the most simple cake I have EVER made! So if you are inviting me to some kind of potluck in the near future - this is probably what I'll be bringing. I brought in a piece to a co-worker (who doesn't even like pineapple) and she loved it! This one is DEF going into my box of keepers - and probably will be my dessert of choice when I get back into hardcore marathon training. After all - it IS healthy (I even used low-fat cool whip!) and will still calm my perma-sweet tooth.

Enjoy! - apes -

1 comment: