Friday, March 19, 2010

Toasted Vegetable Tacos

Recently my Godmother checked out my blog and said she wanted to make the black bean bagel sandwich for my cousin (who is vegetarian), and if I come across any more recipes to let her know. So this one's for you Aunt Cathy (and Lauren)!

----------

Toasted Vegetable Tacos my modified recipe in pink

Ingredients:
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped fresh vegetables, such as broccoli, snap peas, green beans and red bell pepper I used steam fresh frozen southwestern corn, broccoli pieces, snap peas and fresh red bell pepper.
- 1 flour tortilla (8 inch)
- 1 teaspoon raspberry chipotle sauce I used Mrs. Dash southwestern chipotle marinade
- 1 tablespoon shredded Mexican 4-cheese blend
- I added a package of Old El Paso instant rice: Fiesta Flavor

Directions:
- Place vegetables in a microwavable bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on High 1 minute or until tender-crisp. I did this with my red bell pepper, but since the rest of my veggies mine were frozen, I microwaved them as their directions said, then mixed all the vegetables and rice in a bowl.
- Heat medium skillet over medium heat. Toast tortilla about 1 minute on each side or until toasted. Carefully bend tortilla until edges meet but do not fold.
- Spread chipotle sauce (marinade) on tortilla.
- Top with vegetables and sprinkle with cheese. I forgot about the cheese.

----------

So these turned out VERY tasty (even with my modifications), with one exception - the rice! I forgot I don't like the microwavable rice to begin with and I still don't. I should have used plain/brown rice and made it normally and added it to the veggies.

Using the chipotle marinade was a good substitute, and tasted GREAT!

The vegetables made a TON of "filling" so I brought the rest to work to eat, and I can eat it like a veggie salad if I don't want to use a soft taco shell.

So Aunt Cathy, if you try these, I hope you and Lauren enjoy them (after all, it should fit in well with the food in AZ)!

Enjoy! - apes -

1 comment:

  1. Thanks April! I sure will! We will trying your black bean bagel recipe on Monday. Lauren is excited ... keep the recipes coming.

    I forgot about the fish packets. They WERE good, I will be trying them again too.

    ReplyDelete