Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Fish Packets (& Leftovers)

Growing up, everyone had their "favorite dish". Sometimes is was homeade pizza (mmm the chef boyardee kind), or homade chicken soup, etc. Well when I was at the age where I was discovering I liked more than just mac-n-cheese and burger king, my mom would OCCASIONALLY ask what I wanted for dinner. I would always tell her I wanted "fish packets" - it's this SUPER easy meal she would make on occasion, and I would eat at least 2 of them. They never filled me up, but they were always my favorite meal made by her.

So now that I am older, living on my own and cooking for myself I usually make this meal at least once a week. It's SUPER easy (and cheap). So easy in fact, I am not even putting it in recipe form.

Get some packaged fish from the store (tilapia, salmon, etc) and put it (defrosted) on some aluminum foil. Then take any vegetables you like (cut up) and put them with the fish. I usually use onions, peppers, and summer squash. You can also do carrots, tomatoes, etc. Pretty much if you like it, then try it. Then season it as you prefer. My mom used to just use salt, pepper, and spray butter. When I made it this week I used fresh Arizona lemons** over the fish, then some vegetable seasoning, and salt and pepper. Close up the aluminium foil around the fish and veggies (taste best if they are in the same foil pack) so it makes a "fish packet" of food. Then put it in the oven for about 20 min or so, around 400 degrees.
Once done, let it cool - and dig in!

I had extra veggies this past week when I was making it so I made a full fish/veggie packet, then another packet of just veggies. I cooked up some rice and mixed it with the veggie packet and had it for lunch the next day! **My Godmother out in Arizona sent me a box of fresh grapefruits, lemons, and tangelos from her garden.

Enjoy! - apes -

No comments:

Post a Comment